Jalpaiguri Municipal CorporationMunicipal corporation and municipalities are urban bodies which look after the public welfare and interests of the local population which it represents according to the Constitution. A municipal corporation, municipality or nagar panchayats are formed on the basis of a certain population count. With a number of wards and their elected representatives, municipalities and municipal corporations are responsible for providing a number of public services helping to promote a responsible local government framework within the municipal area.
History of Jalpaiguri Municipal Corporation
The growth of tea plantations in Jalpaiguri coupled with its strategic location with long international borders with Bhutan and Bangladesh prompted the setting up of a vigilant and effective administration which would systematically look after its economy, defense and development. After the emergence of the new Jalpaiguri Township, a local urban body in the form “Jalpaiguri Union” was constituted which performed its municipal services till April, 1885. In the following year, the “Jalpaiguri Municipality” can into existence when the township had a population of 7936. Its first chairman was the District Deputy Commissioner and the Civil Medical Officer became its vice-chairman.
7 wards were created from the total municipal area and they had 19 commissioners. This area expanded to 10.095 sq. km in 1967. Subsequently 19 constituency wards were created with single members in 1967. In 1995, the municipal area was further expanded to 12.95 sq. km.
Services of the Jalpaiguri MunicipalityThe Jalpaiguri Municipality effectively looks after various key public domains like public health, public infrastructure, welfare and developmental activities within its administrative jurisdiction. Besides responsible for birth registrations as well as death certificates, the municipality handles core issues of public health like water supply, sanitation and sewerage, public facilities in education, recreation, building regulations, and issues of public safety. Some of the key areas of the Jalpaiguri Municipality’s jurisdiction include:
- Road - The municipality is responsible for taking care of the roads including the prominent State Highway SH-12A which pass through the town.
- Water Supply – The Jalpaiguri Municipality received its water supply system in 1934 and subsequently it has been distributed in 5 zones. Additional two zones, Maskalai Bari-Arobindo Sector and the composite complex have been introduced later.
- Electricity- The Jalpaiguri Electric Supply Company Ltd. was commissioned in 1934 and it started with a nominal 600 street lights. Now it has merged with WBSEB or (West Bengal State Electricity Board).
- Drainage- Due to the topography of Jalpaiguri situated along the Karala river bank, proper drainage is a crucial area under the municipality as the town has seen the back flow of the flood waters of its primary river Teesta of Jalpaiguri district often causing water logging.
- Public Health- There are a number of health programmes provided by the government initiated by Jalpaiguri municipality. These include the National Anti Malarial Programme, Indian Population Project (IPP) National AIDS Control Programme, Diarrhoea and other Enteric Disease Control Programmes and others. Besides, the municipality takes a large number of preventive health care methods with stress on reproductive health and child health care.
- Education- Jalpaiguri municipality is responsible for the primary education sector as well as extending its services in the areas of adult education, civic education, non-formal and social education and science and technology advancement in the area.
Some of the significant other areas under the Jalpaiguri Municipality include Land Use Pattern, Solid Waste Management, Citizens Charter and Managing Administrative Boundaries.
Contact Information of Jalpaiguri MunicipalityAddress: 1394, Mahatma Gandhi Road
West Bengal -735101
Phone: 03561-231096/ 03561-230050
Facts and Figures about Jalpaiguri MunicipalityAs per the 2011 Census, Jalpaiguri Municipality has the following statistical base:
Total Population of Jalpaiguri city: 107,351
Male Population: 53,749
Female Population: 53,602
Total Literacy Rate: 91.11 %
Male Literacy Rate: 93.67%
Female Literacy Rate: 88.56%
Sex Ratio: 997 per 1000 males
Child Population 2011: 8,075
- SHARE THIS
- TWEET THIS
- SHARE THIS
- LOVE THIS 0