Jalpaiguri Tourism (Source : Flickr)
The district of Jalpaiguri, situated in the northern part of West Bengal, India and occupying the Terai region of the Himalayan foothills is an extremely sought after tourist destination due to its abundant natural beauty and exotic wildlife. With dense forests, expansive tea plantations, rare species of wildlife, gorgeous and rushing rivers and the scintillating snow capped mountains peaks in the background, Jalpaiguri lets every traveller’s imagination run wild. Your eyes can never rest in this mystic land of “tea, timber and tourism”.
Travel in Jalpaiguri
Jalpaiguri Station (Source : Flickr)
The local form of transport includes cycle rickshaws which will take you anywhere within the city. To cover longer distances, you can hire a vehicle or cab from the taxi stands in the city.
Jalpaiguri Tourism and Development
Weather and Best Time to Visit Jalpaiguri
(Source : Flickr)
- Jalpaiguri has three main seasons; the summers, Monsoons and winter.
- The Summers are hot and tropical with average temperatures in the mid-thirties.
- The Monsoon season is characterized by severe and heavy rainfall.
- The Winters are quite chilly with the cold winds from the Himalayas blowing through the city. The temperature ranges between 8-14 degrees during this period.
Eating in Jalpaiguri
Shopping in Jalpaiguri
One of the most important entertainment activities for the Jalpaiguri tourist is shopping. The very name “Jalpaiguri” is supposed to derive from the Bhutanese term “je-je-pe-gu-ri” meaning a trading center for warn clothes. Thus you will find ample scope for buying woollens and other garments woven traditionally. There are several handcrafts shops in Jalpaiguri, especially ones made out of bamboo. These serve as great souvenirs to gift your friends and relatives.
Historical Monuments in Jalpaiguri
Jalpaiguri district has a long history under several dynasties which goes back to the 10th century B.C. Hence there are a number of historical inscriptions and monuments which details their association since ancient times. Some of the famous historical monuments include:
- The Rajbari palace was the home of the Raikats, who ruled the Baikunthapur estate.
- Buxa Fort used during British colonial rule to imprison Indian freedom fighters.
- Old Fort of Nal King, the ruins of this 5th century old fort built during the Gupta Empire is a fascinating historical and archaeological study.
Parks and Gardens in Jalpaiguri
Jalpaiguri is known for its expansive tea gardens and other parks filled with scenic beauty. Some of the popular parks and gardens in Jalpaiguri are:
- Jubilee Park
- Savin Kindom
- Teesta Udyan
- Karala Valley Tea Garden
- Raipur Tea Garden
- Denguajhar Tea Garden
Museums in Jalpaiguri
- Nature Interpretation Centre is a Science museum in Rajabhatkhawa, Buxa Road.
- Sarojendra Deb Raikat Kala Kendra is an inspiring art gallery for all art lovers and displays some of the age old art forms of the region.
- The Akshaya Kumar Maitreya Heritage Museum within the University of North Bengal showcases the heritage of the region in its sculpture and other artefacts.
Lake in Jalpaiguri
Religious Places in Jalpaiguri
Religious Places in Jalpaiguri
- Jogomaya Kalibari, a famous temple in Temple street and is dedicated to Goddess Kali. It also has a shrine of Baba Loknath.
- Jalpesh Temple dedicated to Lord Shiva which has a Shivling known as "anadi".
- Jatileshwar Temple dedicated to Lord Jatileshwara or Shiva.
- Bateswar Temple was constructed during the Gupta dynasty.
- Devi Choudhurani Temple dedicated to Goddess Kali.
- Alipurduar Baptist Church
Hotels in Jalpaiguri
Several budget and luxury hotels are available in Jalpaiguri which will accommodate and refresh you after your excursions around the town. Some of the well known hotels are:
- Hotel del’ Pretom
6-49/139, D.B.C. Road, Kadamtala Jalpaiguri-735101
- Sinclairs Retreat Dooars
Chalsa Hill Top, Dist. Jalpaiguri, Jalpaiguri-735206
- Riverwood Forest, Gorumara
Dakshin Dhupjhora, P.S. Metteli,
Dist. Jaipaiguri, Jaipaiguri-735206