Rajabhatkhawa in Jalpaiguri
Raja Bhat Khawa Station (Source: flickr)
Situated about 15 kms from Alipurduar, Rajabhatkhawa can be called the gateway to the Buxa Tiger Reserve in Jalpaiguri district. Picturesque hills and green dense forests surround this idyllic village. With the nearby Buxa Tiger Reserve forming a dark canopy, Rajabhatkhawa is also bound by rivers like the Jayanti and Raidak which completes its mesmerizing look.
Rajabhatkhawa offers the tourist ample opportunities for leisure in the midst of exotic nature, while indulging in various adventure activities like jungle safari, bird watching, wildlife watching and trekking. Rajabhatkhawa is a rich storehouse of fauna and flora and will entice all travellers to the Dooars region with its fascinating landscape and mild climate.
Tourist Attractions in Rajbhatkhawa
Rajabhatkhawa is a tourist’s paradise with a number of places of interest. From bird watching, wildlife, trekking to immersing oneself in the rich natural beauty of the surrounding tea gardens and rivers, Rajabhatkhawa offers something for all. Some of the common sightseeing destinations in Rajabhatkhawa are:
- Buxa Tiger Reserve- Rajbhatkhawa is the entry point of the famous Buxa Tiger Reserve which is repted for its wild elephants, tigers, leopards, bisons and other wild animals. Entry permits to the Buxa Tiger Reserve are issued from the nearby Rajbhatkhawa Nature Interpretation Centre. The Buxa Tiger Reserve is spread over an area of 759 sq. Km and is admired by tourists for its forest green, hily landscape and several rivers with their tributaries which crisscross it. This forest is also the place where the Buxa fort stands at a height of 867 metres above sea level. The Buxa Fort is historically a significant place as it was used by the British colonial rule to confine political prisoners like Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose here.
- Jayanti Riverbed - The River Jayanti which flows at a short distance from Rajawatkhawa is another prime attraction for the tourists who come here. The dense forests of Chilapata and the white pebble laden Jayanti riverbed with the meandering river are fascinating sights near Rajabhatkhawa.
- Orchidarium – The Buxa Tiger Reserve forest is the natural habitat of more than 150 species of orchids. Some of them are displayed in the Rajabhatkhawa Orchidarium, which also contains some rare books on fauna and flora. In addition, the Nature Interpretation Centre as well as Animal Rescue Center are other tourist attractions in the region.
- Lepchakha- This is a small, beautiful valley near Rajabhatkhawa and can be reached if you trek 5 km from Buxa Fort. It provides a splendid view of the plains of North Bengal, Buxa Tiger Reserve and adjoining area of Bhutan.
Sikiajhora (Source: flickr)
Sikkiajhora- If you take a half hour drive from Rajabhatkhawa, you will reach this picturesque picnic spot placed near Panialguri. A small stream runs from the forest interior on which a little dam has been constructed. Originally it was intended to allow boating, even though it’s not operational now. However, Sikiajhora is a marvellous destination for picnickers who wish to soak in the warm beauty of nature and indulge in birding. There is also a watchtower which overlooks the forest.
- Rover’s Point- This place is a haven for bird watchers lying 3 km in front of Buxa Fort.
- Mahakal Cave and Temple - This is an ancient stalactite cave situated 13 km from Jayanti in the Buxa Tiger Reserve. It is significant for both religious and tourism purposes.
Traveling to Rajbhatkhawa in Jalpaiguri
Travelling to Rajabhatkhawa (Source : flickr)
The way to Rajabhatkhawa is laced with forests trails and lush green tea estates. NH 31 passes through the region. The tourist can get rented taxis and private cars from Alipurduar to Rajabhatkhawa, the former located 15 km away from the place. New Jalpaiguri is situated 115 km from Rajabhatkhawa, and taxis and private vehicles can also be hired from here.
Rajabhatkhawa also has a railway station on the New Jalpaiguri-Alipuduar-Samuktala line where some local passenger trains halt. Alipurduar is by far, the nearest railway station.
The nearest airport is Bagdogra at a distance of 190 kms and can be reached by road in 4 hours.
Best Time to Visit Rajabhatkhawa in JalpaiguriThe best time to visit Rajabhatkhawa is during the winter season, from October-June. Since there is heavy rainfall during the rainy season, it is advisable not to venture during that time. In addition, the forests are closed every year for tourists from 15th June to 15th September.
Accommodation in Rajabhatkhawa
Buxa Jungle Lodge in Rajabhatkhawa
As one of the major centers of eco-tourism in the Dooars region, Rajabhatkhawa has a number of good resorts to accommodate tourists. Some of them are:
- West Bengal Forest Development Corporation (WBFDC) Buxa Jungle Lodge- This government nature resort is placed in the lap of nature and has 5 large double bedrooms as well as one 12 bedded dormitory complete with a surrounding veranda. With homely food, beautiful garden and lovely rooms at an affordable price- prepare to be pleasantly surprised at the Buxa Jungle Lodge.
- Gracilips- This is a small, family run hotel in Rajabhatkhawa which is well maintained with cozy wooden rooms and delicious food.
- Elite Partyatak Abas- This hotel is situated in the heart of Alipurduar and is well known for its luxurious accommodation which includes A.C. and non A.C. suites, Deluxe A.C. rooms and standard rooms with a range of facilities. They also have a restaurant providing Chinese, Bengali, Continental, North Indian and South Indian food. Train reservation assistance, in-house generator, conference hall are some of its other facilities