Religious Spots in Jalpaiguri
Religious Spots in Jalpaiguri
Jalpesh Temple Entrance in Jalpaiguri
- Jalpesh Temple- Placed 3 km from the Maynaguri administrative division, the Jalpesh temple is dedicated to the Lord Jalpeshwara or Shiva. The architectural style of the temple is however similar to Islamic structures. The Shivlinga of “Anadi” is situated within the temple. Founded by the ruler Bisu Singh from Cooch Behar in 1524, the temple was rebuilt by his son Maharaja Narayan in 1563, and still later it was renovated by Pran Narayan in 1663.
While Maha Shivratri is the major festival celebrated in the temple, pilgrims also flock to this sacred site during Sravani Mela commonly observed in July-August and the Jalpesh Mela fair held in February-March and seek the blessings of the deity. They perform Puja and then collect water from the nearby River Teesta in vessels and proceed barefoot to the temple.
- Jatileshwar Temple- The “temple-place” of Jatileshwar is also dedicated to the Hindu God Shiva and its construction predates the one in Jalpeshwar. Despite the other constructions seen in its vicinity, it is believed that the principal temple which is now in ruins was built during the Gupta period between A.D. 320 and A.D. 600. This primary temple is surrounded by 6 ft of water within the temple grounds. Spread over a huge area, the Jatileshwar temples are encompassed by lush green vegetation.
- Bateshwar Temple- This temple was also constructed during the Gupta period and is situated about 6 km from Maynagiri. It is dedicated to Lord Shiva who is also called Bateshwarnath Mahadev. The name derives from the myth that the Lord Shiva rested under the Banyan (or Bat in Sanskrit) tree, and thus the place becomes known as Bat-Ishwar, or Banyan Lord.
Jogomaya Kali Mandir in Jalpaiguri
- Jogomaya Kalibari – This temple is a famous pilgrimage site in Jalpaiguri. The Kali Temple has the Goddess Jogomaya which is an “Astabhuja” as well as “Astadhatu Kali murti” (composed of eight hands and alloy of eight pure metals respectively). There is also a shrine constructed for Baba Loknath inside the temple complex.The deity of Goddess Kali is hailed as extremely powerful. Hence numerous devotees flock to the temple complex throughout the year, and especially during the time of Kali Puja.
- Baptist Church – The Baptist Church is one of the oldest Christian edifices within Jalpaiguri district. It was built in 1883 in the Nayabasti quarter in Jalpaiguri.
- All Angels Church – This is a famous church in Jalpaiguri district in front of the collectorate built as early as in 1864. Constructed in the European style, the windows are made of tinted Belgian glass and the bell in its steeple is also ancient. The church is believed to be linked to the tea plantation history in the Dooars region as many British planters’ names are associated with it.
Some of the other religious places in Jalpaiguri which are the focal point for the local religious communities include the Dechhen Choiling Monastery, Gurudwara Sahib in Hasimara, Pilkhana Masjid and others.